Wednesday 20 May 2009

Practice Cupcakes

Here is my exciting news for the decade: I've been commissioned to make a cake and accompanying cupcakes for the UK Supernatural convention Asylum (I really wish I was going). Now, Supernatural may just be my favourite TV show and I have a soft spot for Jensen, Jared and Mischa (and Jim Beaver, but in an aw-I-want-to-cuddle-him way. And I kind of wish he was my uncle or something). And there is a fairly big chance that the boys will be eating my cake! I'm actually making them personalised cupcakes as well, so hopefully they'll get those even if they don't get a piece of cake!

Anyway, I'm super excited about it, as this is my first big commission (as the wedding cake was friend of the family and I didn't charge for anything other than ingredients I'm not counting it) and is hopefully the start of many more. So I have to make it perfect. But enough about the cake, here are my practice cupcakes!


The cupcake itself is chocolate with chocolate chips, whilst the butter cream topping is chocolate and vanilla marbled. The scrolls are made from coloured gumpaste and written on with my (adored) edible pen.

My photography is not great (and probably won't be for the foreseeable future, just to warn you) but you get the gist :)

They tasted amazing as well, if you were wondering. Best ever, according to some trusty taste testers.

Double Choc Chip Cupcakes

8oz butter (or half butter, half Crisco)
8oz caster sugar
6oz plain flour
2tsp baking powder
1/2tsp bicarb soda
2oz good quality cocoa
4 eggs, beaten
100g chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugar, gradually beat in eggs adding a tablespoons of flour mix if the batter starts to separate. Fold in flour mixture (flour, cocoa, baking soda and bicarb) and then mix in chocolate chips. Make about 20 big cupcakes, more if you use smaller cupcake cases.

180'C for 13-18 minutes.

Let cool and then add your favourite topping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are love! I do so like getting comments and they make my day. So, please comment away!