Saturday 16 May 2009

A complete disaster

Today's culinary challenge? Swiss Meringue Butter Cream.
Today's complete failure? Swiss Meringue Butter Cream.

Now, I could be wrong, but I think the main problem is that I don't have a kitchen mixer. That's right, I do it alllll by hand. Which makes whisking egg whites an interesting and muscle building adventure that normally gets passed to my housemates as they wander in to see what all the fuss is about. One or two of them now leave the kitchen quickly whenever they see me pick up a whisk. :-)

I'm guessing that the failure of my SMB is also to do with my lack of candy thermometre. And possibly a dodgy recipe. Oh well, next time. Next time! I'm not putting up a photo because, frankly, I'm a little ashamed of my thick, greasy and buttery attempt! I also managed to burn the GF chocolate cupcakes that I'd made to go with my icing because I got carried away with the washing up and forgot about the oven.

It's a shame though - I was hoping for a slightly more sophisticated icing that bog standard butter cream for the cupcakes that I've been commissioned to make next week for the Supernatural cast (SQUEE) and a load of Supernatural Convention goers. However, it seems that butter cream is what I'm good at (and wow, is it ever good!) so perhaps I should stick to that!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are love! I do so like getting comments and they make my day. So, please comment away!